Dr Stavros N Shiaeles PhD, MEng, FBCS, CEH, CCNSP, COBIT 5F, MIEEE
Lecturer in Computer & Information Security
Brief biographical email@example.com
Dr. Stavros Shiaeles is a member of the Centre for Security, Communications & Network Research, Lecturer in School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics at Plymouth University, United Kingdom and also Adjunct Lecturer in Cyprus Open University.
Prior entering the academia his was working in the IT area for years. His working experience covers Linux, FreeBSD, Custom Firewalls, Application Level Firewalls, VPN, Remote Access, Antivirus, Proxies, IDS, IPS, VoIP, RouterOS , VM and also consulting in various aspects of IT and IS.
He hold EC-Council CEH certificate, ISACA Cobit 5 Foundation Certificate and Cyberroam Certified Network and Security Professional Certificate. He took part in many Cyber Defense Exercises. Cyber Defense Exercises required skills on Linux Hardening, Windows Hardening, Penetration Testing, Malware analysis, Log analysis and Forensics. The goal of these excercises was to develop and test skills in order to understand and defence against Cyber attacks.
- Incident Response
- Intrusion Prevention Detection and Response
- Social Engineering
- Security Education
- Distributed Denial of Service Attacks, BotNet and FastFlux Identification
- Forensics (Including Mobile)
- Malware Analysis and Code Analysis
- Network Anomaly Detection
- IoT Security
- Cloud Security
- Computational Intelligence
- 2013 PhD, "Real time detection and response of Distributed Denial of Service Attacks for web services"
- 2007 MEng, Electrical and Computer Enginneer
- 2015 Cyberoam Certified Network & Security Professional (CCNSP)
- 2015 HRDA Cyprus - Certified Professional Trainer
- 2014 ISACA Cobit 5 Foundation
- 2013 EC-Council, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Fellow of the British Computing Society (FBCS)
- IEEE Member
- IEEE Computer Society Member
- ISACA Silver Member
- ΕΤΕΚ Member(Cyprus Engineer Association)
- TEE Member (Greece Engineer Association)
- Cyprus Computer Society Member
- ISC2 Cyprus Chapter Member
On-scene triage open source forensic tool chests: Are they effective?
4 Journal papers
4 publication(s) - all categories.
Editorships / Refereeing for journals
- NTMS 2016 Conference Demos Chair
- IEEE MELECON 2016 Conference Reviewer
- Computer and Network Security (Elsevier) Reviewer
- Computer Journal (Oxford Journals) Reviewer
- PCI Conference Reviewer (Pan-Hellenic Conference on Informatics with international participation)
- OWASP Reviewer (AppSec Research 2012 Conference)
Examination of research degrees
Current MPhil/PhD Supervisions
- Mr Dimitris Kontogeorgis: “Windows 7/8.1/10 Forensic artifacts. A comparison table.”
- Mr Dimitris Xypolias: “Developing a new steganography method”
- Mr Ioannis Pitris: “Unsupervise learning and detection of Insider Threats”
Completed MPhil/PhD Supervisions
- Mr Konstantinos Tzovelekis: “Monitoring unsuspicious users through Twitter and Instagram. A hackers approach” (2016)
- Mr Constantinos Tsiagas: “Recovering critical infrastructures securely and cost free” (2015)
- Mr Constantinos Vessiaris: “Unsupervised system/network anomally detection using sensors, in Windows platforms” (2015)
- Mr Dimitrios Papademetriou: “Study of password complexity methods and application in corporate enviroments” (2015)
Examination of research degrees
- Mr Andreas Evagorou: “Development and Evaluation of a 3D Game for the Museum of Marble Crafts of Tinos” (External Examiner, 2015)
- Mr Thanasis Kyriakou: “Design and Dimensioning of 4th Generation LTE” (External Examiner, 2015)
- Mr Zafeiris Georgiadis: “VoIP fraud detection” Mr Alexandros Magkoutis: “Stream Ciphers modern attacks” (External Examiner, 2015)
Invited Presentations, Lectures, etc.
- Stavros N. Shiaeles, Set up a VOIP Server for SIP Calls and Protect it From Bruteforce Attacks in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, BSD, Volume 8, No 3, Issue 03/2014(56), ISSN 1898-9144, pp. 34-39.
- Stavros N. Shiaeles and Vasilios Katos, GreenSQL Yet another important step to protecting web sites from sql injection attacks, Hakin9, Volume 7, No 7, Issue 07/2012(55), ISSN 1733-7186, pp. 16-22.
- Stavros N. Shaeles and Ioannis D. Psaroudakis, A study of a Botnet creation process and the impact of a DDoS attack against a web server, Hakin9 Bible, Issue 1/2012(3), ISSN 1733-7186, pp. 140-145.
- Stavros N. Shaeles and Ioannis D. Psaroudakis, A study of a Botnet creation process and the impact of a DDoS attack against a web server, Hakin9 Extra: BOTNET - Is your PC a Zombie?, Issue 5/2011(5), ISSN 1733-7186, pp. 8-12.Stavros N. Shaeles, Protecting Apache From Dos And DDoS Attacks, BSD Magazine: The Inevitability of IPv6, Volume 4, Issue 10/2011(27), ISSN 1898-9144, pp. 32-34.
- Stavros N. Shaeles, Increase the protection of dynamic websites from XSS, SQL injection and webserver dos-ddos attacks, Hakin9 Extra: Android Security, Issue 4/2011(4), ISSN 1733-7186, pp. 34-37.
- Stavros N. Shaeles, Apache2, php5, mysql5, modsecurity2.5, BSD Magazine: Protecting Dynamic Websites in FreeBSD, Volume 4, Issue 09/2011(26), ISSN 1898-9144, pp. 18-27.